Monday, February 8, 2016

Emerson's First Birthday Party

Modern First Birthday Party

Emerson turned one on January 29 and well we couldn't go without throwing her a party! My goal was to keep it low key and simple. We celebrated with around 20 friends and family. It was perfect, complete with a healthy cake and homemade decorations!  

Modern First Birthday Party
Emerson's vest [similar], top [similar], jeans, shoes | My top [similar] | Nick's jacket [similar]

With the help of my step-mom and mother-in-law we made the 'Happy Birthday' banner. Of course, we had to snap a photo of our family of three!

Modern First Birthday Party

I kept the desserts simple. Heart almond sugar cookies for guests and a black bean cake for Emerson. Since the party started at two we had finger foods to munch on [i.e., meat, cheese, crackers, veggies & hummus, nuts, etc.]

Modern First Birthday Party

I used burlap fabric as a table runner and wood rounds to add dimension to the table. Fun fact: we DIY'ed the wooden rounds for our wedding 3.5 years ago! The hubby let me keep three;)

Modern First Birthday Party

I wasn't really ready to give my sweetheart a cake laced with sugar upon sugar so I searched and searched for a semi-healthy cake. At the last minute, like the night before, I landed on a black bean lava cake. I left out the chocolate chips and spice and voila we had her first cake! I topped it with homemade coconut cream and raspberries! Since there were two extra cakes I cut them in four for guests to try. Most enjoyed the cake.

With leftover paper from the Happy Birthday banner we were able to make a cake topper. I'm so happy with the way it turned out. We used tiny stickers to spell out her name.

Modern First Birthday Party

Above the treats we hung a few pre made balls I found at TJ Maxx!

Modern First Birthday Party

On the mantel we hung pictures from 1-12 months!

Modern First Birthday Party

We spruced up her highchair with 'ONE' and a few tissue tassels.

Modern First Birthday Party

Her expression when she first saw her cake! Priceless.

Modern First Birthday Party

There you have it our simple yet modern first birthday. I just love how everything turned out. It just goes to show you don't have to go over the top to have a fun, festive and cute birthday party.


SOURCES
DIY 'HB' Banner paper & string: Target
DIY 'HB' Banner letters: Michaels
Photo Garland/printed photos: Costco
Photo Garland teal clothespins: Micheals
Pink Decor Balls: TJ Maxx [similar, similar]
Highchair Paperchase Tassel Bunting: Target
Highchair ONE: DIY Cardboard + Leftover paper from HB banner
Cake Topper/Banner:  DIY leftover paper & string from HB banner, kabob sticks and letter stickers from Michaels
Wooden Rounds: DIY
Burlap Runner: Fabric from Joann's

20 comments:

  1. i love how you decorated her high chair it is so cute! and those cookies looked delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was my first time making sugar cookies and it won't be my last! They turned out amazing.

      Delete
  2. Aww Happy Birthday to Emerson! Her party was adorable, so well put together and I love the rustic yet modern vibe!

    La Belle Sirene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was second guessing myself the whole time, but once it was pulled together I was pleased.

      Delete
  3. Emerson is the BEST name! I’m falling in love with her. She’s such a cutie! And her birthday was absolutely and simply stunning! You did an incredible job! The black bean lava cakes look delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's a pretty fun kid. Oh, you should definitely make the black bean lava cake. I already told my hubby I was making it for Valentines day ;)

      Delete
  4. Omg I love how she is looking at the candle like "what is this glowing thing" haha. Such a pretty party! Happy birthday Emerson :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! You capture the moment with that photo of her looking at the candle....she didn't know what to think!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute! That fur vest is everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday emerson!! cute decorations! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's nothing like last minute planning + target. ;)

      Delete
  8. How beautiful! Love the decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun! Love all your festive decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute kid!! The first birthday party was so brilliant. You really did stunning job dear. Anyway, I am also thinking to host a reasonably priced event space for my daughter’s birthday party. I hope that I’ll get an affordable venue soon!

    ReplyDelete